Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Mini Vacay

I love Robb's job. Thankfully, Im not the one that has to deal with the angry family members, grieving widowers or sleepless nights. I just get to enjoy the perks! Last weekend, Robb had a graveside in Los Angeles and I had Friday off, so off we went. I hadnt been anywhere farther than Vegas for over a year so I was looking forward to getting out of Dodge. Weve had more than a houseful for a while now and I was excited to get away with just my sweetie.
Trips are always exciting at first. We're singing with the radio, and, like always, making fun of people we pass. (Robb is the hands down, the king of insults. I can say with the utmost surety, that anyone reading this post has been the brunt of a Robb joke.) We passed the "Tallest Thermometer in the World" and once we arrived into the OC, the towns all started running together. By this time, we are pretty tired and hungry.  The rush of a new adventure had began to wear off and we just wanted to eat and go to bed.  Thats what middle aged people live for, right?
Im a huge "new experiences" kind of person, so we had to choose a restaurant that we'd never eaten at before.  It was a pretty good steak place.  (It must have been. I actually saw a lady getting the Heimlich and then proceed to sit down and continue eating.)
After our bellies were more than full, we set off to find a place to stay.  It shouldnt be that hard, right?  We're on the freeway in LA.  Wrong.  There was nothing. We finally saw a Motel 6 and pulled over.  It was a pretty sketchy part of the city, but we were both exhausted and decided it couldnt be that bad. Wrong again.  I really cant put into words how the room smelled when we opened the door.  Maybe dirty feet, with a little rancid smoke and old man body odor mixed with morning breath and rotting eggs.  There were hairs, not from the head, on the floor in the bathroom and blood stains on the carpet by the mirror. Robb was wondering how many bodies had been taken out of the room. We almost got a body bag from the van, zipped up and snuggled up in it for the night. BUT, we took our chances. (I came home with a nasty infection on my mouth and I KNOW it was from that bed.)
After a sleepless night, we woke up to a gorgeous California morning.  We headed over to the most beautiful and largest cemetery I'd ever seen.  We were on a hill and could see all of the LA Valley. The graveside went perfect, of course, and with that being done, we headed to the coast.
We ate at our favorite Newport Beach restaurant.
I dont know if any of you know, but my husband is deathly terrified of sharks; because we all know that the little buggers just lay and wait for some extremely white, small town, farmboy to step into the water before they ruthlessly attack. Besides swallowing about a gallon of sea water, he faced his fear and even body surfed a time or two.
We then went to the Newport Beach temple. And saw behind the gate, the LA temple.  Robb and I decided that after driving and staying in LA for only 2 days what a wonderful refuge that temple must be.  That amid the chaos and anarchy, there is a place of solace and tranquility, where you can go to rejuvenate spiritually and emotionally.   
It was a quick trip but as you've seen in my other posts, almost anywhere we go turns into some sort of adventure and I wouldnt want to get lost, stuck or contaminated with anyone other my Robb.

5 comments:

Joan said...

It is a blessing to say that about your hubby. I can say that about mine too. I love new adventures as much as anyone but I hope I never have one like in your motel room. YIKES!!!

Natalie said...

What a fun trip! LA is a fun place to visit! I love that Robb makes fun people, cant wait to hear what he says about me! Ha

Stacey said...

I love mini vacays! SO happy you got time with Robb!!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

What a fun get-away! I love Newport Beach...glad the two of you had a great time!

{Lindsey} said...

You are a brave soul! Rob and I have gone into a motel room like that before and I was out before you could say "gross". That aside, what a fun trip for you and Robb!
I hope the infection on your lip has gone away :/