Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Plig-a-Vision"

Move over Gosslins and Duggars, the Browns have officially taken over the TLC reality shows.
I love this show! I dont know if its because I feel a personal connection because I went to school with Kody or just because the show is very real.
Having lived 40 miles from a huge polygamist community for the last 3 years, I find this family to be totally opposite from the families I see in Walmart or Smiths. These women arent cowering, submissive or uneducated and they arent afraid to speak their minds. They dont dress like pioneers or have their hair so swoopey that a good hard wind will blow them away. The kids dress like "normal" kids, they have a Wii and they really seem like your everyday mainstream society kid, despite having 3 moms. The Browns have raised these 12 children to make their own choices, even if it involves marrying out of the "sect," which also deflects the typical "plig" stereotypes.
I find it refreshing how they answer the questions honestly and how raw their emotions are. It totally drew me in. I found myself thinking about how it would feel to "share" my husband and it literally made me sick and insanely jealous and that was just a hypothetical question for me. This is real life for these women. These are human emotions, that of course these woman are going to feel. I also understand that this was their choice and that they werent forced into it. They truly embrace this lifestyle even when you can see that its sometimes difficult. I also appreciate how they make it clear that they are not associated with the LDS church.
The way they live is different and I cant help but be curious. I have to say, though, that they must be doing something right, because they have been doing this for almost 17 years. How many of the rest of society can say that?

4 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I'm hooked too! It is a strange lifestyle, but not nearly as strange as the Warren Jeffs Crew.
I could never share...what a hard life to live.
Natalie said..."The kids wear cute clothes, and aren't strange". That's good, at least they don't stand out. Greg thinks the Duggers are stranger than them.
It is strange though to see Kody!

Amy said...

I saw this family on the Today Show a few weeks ago. I was completley intrigued but so very nervous about if they were going to relate themselves to the LDS church, as most do. I'm glad they make that point clear! I will have to tune in!

So the husband is from Lovell? What was he like? I want more details because he seemed like a really nice, caring and tender man?

Michelle Thompson said...

We have been enjoying it too! I pop popcorn every Sunday and we are glued to Sister Wives for an hour!

Stacey said...

I can't believe I did not see this post...uh...we are hhooked too!! Really strange to see Kody like this, but he has not changed at all! THre is NO WAY I could share....interesting show!