Saturday, August 8, 2009

Gone But Not Forgotten

August 6th, a man who was a huge part of my life passed away. Now I didnt know him personally, never got to shake his hand or even flash him one of my gummy smiles but I will carry a part of him with me for ever.
If you were like me and grew up in the 80s, Im sure John Hughes played an integral part of your life.
Even though I never wore a bra on my head, gave my panties to a nerd, sang in a parade or even served early morning detention, I became close to all the characters who did. John made us feel as if the embarassments and social calamities we went though in high school were totally normal.
Who watched Breakfast Club and didnt relate to at least one of the characters? Who didnt want to have Ferris Beuhler as your best friend or even John Candy as your uncle and who cant recite every word to those movies. If you're in your thirties, Im willing to bet you can.
Today I pay tribute to John Hughes. Thank you for making my awkward teenage life a tad bit more bearable.

No comments: