Thursday, October 11, 2012

Our Small Miracle

Ive been wanting to write this post for a few days now, but every time I start to even think about this horrible event, I start crying and come close to having a full blown anxiety attack. I think I've finally gotten to the point where I can think and speak about it.

Last Friday I get a call at work from Jazz.  She is on the other end sobbing, saying I need to call Hope right away because there's been an accident with Bentley. Immediately, my mind thinks the worst.  As my brain is going in a thousand different directions and my heart is beating twice that fast, I finally get Hope on the other end. She, surprisingly, is quite calm and proceeds to tell me that Bentley has fallen out of his two story bedroom window onto the rocks below.  He is in the hospital, but in stable condition.

Her quiet demeanor has calmed me down and Im able to listen as she tells me her horrific story.  She put Bentley down for a nap and headed into the living room to get some much needed quiet mommy time.  After a while, she said she hears crying from downstairs/outside and thinks to herself, that sounds a lot like Bentley.  She quickly dismisses the idea because she knows that Bentley is snug as a bug in his bed in the next room.  She hears it again and the same idea comes into her mind. 'That sure sounds like my son.'  Just to ease her thoughts, she decides to go into Bentleys room to check on him but is unable to find him.  She frantically rushes out the front door where she finds her sweet little boy climbing up the stairs screaming and bloody.  She quickly whisks him up and runs inside to call an ambulance.

She said the ambulance gets there very quickly and they proceed to the hospital.  At the hospital, they take xrays, perform a cat scan, and do the whole works, but the only problem they find is a gash in his head and some scrapes on the side of his face.  How can this be?  He fell over 15 feet onto jagged rocks below?
We know without a shadow of a doubt that he was being watched over that day.  I think that not only were guardian angels all around him but that they carried that little boy in their loving arms safely to the ground below.

And not only that, but many things happened that day that made the outcome to the story what it was.  Casey was supposed to have gotten a job and been at work, most likely, with his phone.  Ive never felt thankful that someone didnt get a job.  The weather wasnt 100 degress, so Hope had her windows open and was able to hear Bentleys cries. She also had a friend over that was able to stay with Kai as they rushed to the hospital.

I dont like to close my eyes, because every time I do, I picture him falling.  I finally was able to go to where he fell and see the horrible remnants of that day.  I could see my grand baby's bloody hand print on the cement where he hoisted his little tattered body up to bravely head up the steep steps back to his mothers loving arms.  What a smart boy he is.

I thank my Heavenly Father 100 times a day for taking care of my Bentley that day. For everything that fell into place so that we are able to hug on that little boy tightly whenever we want or need to.  I know of several families that werent that lucky when their sweet little ones took the same dreadful fall.  My heart swells and my eyes fill with tears when I think of the blessings that we were given that day.

(His accident did make the news. http://southernutah.fox13now.com/news)


4 comments:

nina said...

That is horrible! It makes my eyes well up with tears just to imagine it, I can't imagine how you and Hope feel. That is a pure miracle that he isn't worse, what a blessing!

Stacey said...

You are very blessed! I am so happy that this turned out the way it did. Hugs to you all!

The Edwards said...

So very scary. We are so thankful for a happy ending. We just love your fun family.

Joan said...

Yes, he was blessed and so is your family. I can hardly read this as it is a mother's (and Grandma's) nightmare to have something like this happen to her baby. Oh, we love those guardian angels.