Thursday, July 5, 2012

Not What I Expected

I had a super fun 4th planned. We were going to start the day out early at our Ward breakfast. Then, Hope was going to bring the kiddos down. We searched Pinterest and found some cute ways to paint toe-nails, red, white and blue. We were going to spend time in the kitchen whipping up delicious foods while jamming to 80s songs. We were then going to go watch Robb make a fool of himself in a hot dog eating contest and then head over to Everitts for a night of food, games and finally end the night at the park to watch the town fireworks display.
Well, the day started off as planned, minus Jazz and Robb at the breakfast. Jazz stayed at a friends the night before and Robb decided that his bed was way more fun than breakfast at 6am, on his day off. I got teary-eyed watching Bobby do the flag. I get very emotional when it comes to our country and my kids. Put them together and I am a weeping bag of blubber.

Hope called a little later than planned for us to come and get her. By the time we got back to Mesquite, we were rushing to get everything done. We probably listened to maybe 3 or 4 Monster Ballads while trying to frantically cook with two screaming children wanting their mommy.
I did get my toenails painted but Jazz, Hope nor Kai were able to.
We did make it over see Robb finish 4 whole hot dogs in 6 minutes. He didn't even come close to winning. The winner ate 11. He was a monster. Robb was too worried about having the hot dogs come back up in front of the crowd. Kuddos to him for trying something new, though.
We also did make it to Everitts for about a half hour.  After Bentley fell in the kiddie pool and got his clothes soaking wet and since it was 3 hours past Kai's bedtime, we thought it best that Hope and I take the munchkins and leave. 
I was planning on getting a ginormous amount of pics: of our cute toes and the food we made and tons of pics from the party of the grand kids, but, this day just didnt turn out as I was expecting.  I didnt get to set off one smoke bomb or draw my name in the air with a sparkler, BUT, after Hope and I got home and the kids were asleep, we got some one on one mother/daughter time that I realize I had been missing.  We got to talk and laugh for almost two hours, just the two of us.  To me, that is so much better than any picture or food or even the largest firework display could ever be.

1 comment:

Burke and Emily Adams said...

So glad you commented on my blog Jem so I could find yours! You are a sweet sweet woman and looking through your blog just made me like you even more (didn't know it was possible!). So glad you like the Blog Book idea and no joke I would be more than happy to show you how to do it. It's a labor of love if you're a perfectionist like me, but so much fun too!