Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Conference

Robb, Jazz, Bobby and I had the wonderful opportunity of attending a session of General Conference last weekend. It has been something that I have wanted to do for many years. We left Friday after I got off of work at 6:00pm and drove to my Aunt Joan and Uncle Wayne's home. We got there around midnight, so I didn't get much sleep, but woke up early, excited to head to Temple Square. Jazz and Bobby had never been there before.
As we walked around Temple Square and as we visited the new City Creek Center, I was marveling at everyone dressed in their dresses and suits, and I wondered, if everyone always dressed this way, wouldn't we act and treat each other with higher standards? What a wonderful world it would be if we all wore our "Sunday Best" everyday.
I was in awe of the people who stood in the standby line hoping to get tickets. I heard from someone that the first people in line got there at 4am. What dedication. I was thankful that we had tickets and only had to sit on the grass basking in the warm sun surrounded by beautiful flowers while we waited for the morning session to end.


The weather was perfect. The wind blew a little but the temperature was in the 70s. I was in heaven. Walking around with 20 to 30,000 other saints with one purpose; to be uplifted and edified. I have to say, that I wasn't disappointed. We weren't able to hear the prophet speak, but I was able to hear my favorite apostle, Elder Holland. His talk was simple and spot on. He reminded us that Heavenly Father loves us no matter what our circumstances or actions. He told the story of the Prodigal Son, which I love. He stated that “His concern is for the faith at which you finally arrive, not for the hour of the day in which you got there.”
Another one of my favorite talks was by President Uchtdorf. Also, such a simple but much needed message. Be kind and forgive. My favorite sentence of his talk, and maybe the whole conference was "Heaven is full of those who are forgiven and those who forgave." What a sense of peace that phrase brings to me, personally. It was a little scary that, more oft than not, these wise men were telling us to repent. If anyone reading this has been waiting for a time to repent, don't wait any longer.  Go speak with your bishop.  Its a tough road, but in the end, the journey is very worth it.  I can testify to that personally.
Music is my life and being able to sing along with a congregation of over 20,000 in a hymn was a very spiritual experience to me.  I wasn't even able to sing.  I just listened and took it all in.  I sat down with tears running down my cheeks and my heart full.  I was a little disappointed that we weren't able to listen to the Tabernacle Choir but the MTC choir was just as good and even though we weren't aware at the time, we got to listen to David Archuleta sing. 
I want to thank Joan and Wayne for opening their home to us. I miss my family so very much. It was fun to see Colett and Amy again and for the cousins to meet each other. It made me homesick to see the gorgeous mountains and the snow, but I was very thankful to be back in my warm town after driving 3 hours in the 30 degree temperatures and snow.
It was an unforgettable experience and I am so glad that we were able to do it.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't believe how big your grand babies are getting...so cute! So neat you got to go to conf!

Joan said...

We loved having you!! I love conference weekend. It's like getting your batteries recharged to go for another 6 months. I also loved hearing Robb singing a hymn downstairs when he didn't know I was listening. Hugs!!