Monday, September 8, 2008

"Hot Mama Makeover"


Things have been fairly slow at the Pulver's house lately, which is okay. It gives us a chance to recharge and prepare for things to come. Saturday, I was able to attend the "Hot Mama Makeover" at the Dixie Center. I won tickets on the radio so I grabbed Amy and we headed off for some adventure and learning. There were some good classes. We narrowed it down and started the day off with a quirky motivational speaker. We then went to a women's sexuality class where we learned the "layout of the land". We then pressed forward and took some self-defense tips from a egocentric over the hill "famous" kickboxing champion. But, my favorite class was Tai Chi. It was taught by a Mr Magoo looking 60 year old man who was fit and more spry than many 30 year olds I know. (I am so layed back that Tai Chi fits me perfectly.)
As we were walking around the vendor booths between classes, I noticed a booth that was handing out domestic violence pamphlets. When I saw the volunteer sign up form laying on the table, I knew right then why I had won the tickets. One of my favorite things to do is help people. I've tried to center my life and my jobs around doing just that. I've been a lifeguard, an EMT, a victim advocate and even doing first calls gave me the opportunity to help people. The job I have now definately does the opposite of that, so I've been praying for a chance to do what I love and it was dropped right into my lap. I know that the Lord works in mysterious ways and Robb and I have learned to accept and embrace the path the Lord has given us.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! What an amazing quality to have! We need more of you in this world. It's too bad that there is even a need for that volunteer position. Hopefully you will bless and change so many women's lives!

Joan said...

Jem, you have such a good soul. I would hope that everyone who needs an advocate at sometime in their life can come across you or someone just like you.

Hugs, Aunt Joan