Saturday, August 16, 2008

(My favorite pictures of Jesus are the ones with Him and the black sheep)

While Robb was still going to school in Portland a little over a year ago, he got promised a job in Astoria, OR. Now, I love Oregon. I love the climate, I love the green and I the people. I was very excited that we were going to able to live there for ever. Robb, however, just felt that this wasn't where we were supposed to go, so when a job opening came up in St George, he interviewed for it. His boss told him that right when he stepped off the plane they knew that he was the right person for the job. I was sad that we were coming to the desert and the "Utah Mormons" and didn't think a place that had 360 days of sunshine was the place for me but I love my husband and would go anywhere he wanted to go. After we got here, great things started happening to both of us. . . . spiritually. Now, I have always thought that the gospel was important but I did feel if I went forward in it, it would drive Robb and I apart, so I have been a "social Mormon" for many years. I attended church and lived somewhat worthily, but never really embraced the church and all it's teachings. Robb never stopped the kids and I from attending meetings and I was grateful for that but he didn't want to be apart of it.

Robb made a wonderful friend his last year of school. Him and his wife were so kind to Robb and they were also great examples. Since the kids and I were back in Wyoming, Robb felt very alone and they took him in. Fed him, let him sleep there, etc. This friend is the person who helped Robb get the job here. So, when we first moved here, Robb, I think out of respect, went to a few church meetings with this friend in their ward. After a bit, though, he stopped. One night as we were sitting and watching television, I heard the phone ring. I had been going to our home ward with the kids and loved it. The voice on the phone said he was one of the counselors from the ward and that the bishop wanted us to come in and visit him because he wanted to get to know the new families in the ward. I thought it was strange since the bishopric had already been to our home and visited us, but I agreed to meet with him. The night of our "meeting", Robb's softball game got cancelled, so he reluctantly went with me to see the bishop. When we got to the church and knocked on the door, the bishop poked his head out with a confused look on his face saying that he just ran over to the church to work on a few things and had no appointments set. He called his counselors and the ward secretary to see who set up the meeting but no one did. He met with us anyway and then asked Robb to stay and speak with him alone. This really worried me because pushy church people are one of Robb's pet peeves. When they emerged from the meeting an hour later, Robb had tears in his eyes. That night he stopped chewing tobacco and started reading the Book of Mormon. He is now on his second time reading it and he is a totally different person. We read the scriptures and have family prayer every night. We have family home evening and attend all our church meetings. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we were meant to come to St George.

There have been several other "inspirational" events that we have been apart of since we've moved here but I just thought I would share one of them. What a difference the gospel makes in our lives. Robb and my relationship hasn't always been the best, but deep down I knew that he was an amazing person with great potential. I am so glad that I have him in my life. Hopefully, next year some time, I will be able to be sealed to him and our kids for all time and eternity.

(And, for the record, I think "Utah Mormons" are fantastic people)

10 comments:

Jennie said...

I am soooo happy for you!!! I'm still a newbie but I am grateful for the gospel too, but very much share Robb's dislike for the pushy people. Crazy how all of that came to be. Good thing our Heavenly Father knows us better than we know ourselves and know when is the best time to reach us. We miss and love you guys very much!

Amy said...

What a great post! Way to go Robb! It is nice to write about things like this because the next time things get tough, you can look back on this story and be uplifted and strengthened.

Michelle Thompson said...

I love this post. You need to make a copy and save it for your family history and journal. I love living here too and the people are great. It has made me a stronger person being in Utah and I don't care what anyone says about "those Utah Mormons or Utards". We have enjoyed having you guys here and the games and BBQs have been great. We are proud of you!

Amy said...

I love you guys!!!!!

Kristin said...

Thank you for sharing! We think you guys are great and are glad you are down here too!!

Joan said...

This is such a sweet and heartfelt blog entry. Miracles have never ceased have they.

Hugs to all of you.

Colett (*.*) said...

I love these kinds of honest heartfelt posts. We are all human, just trying to do the best we can. Keep it up! I have lived in Utah for almost 20 yrs now, holy crap, I guess that makes me one of those "Utah mormons"

Linda said...

I really belive that the Lord has a time table for all of us and we should be patient with ourselves and others. When we're ready the Lord blesses us with the good things and the good people that we need in our lives. You have a beautiful family and I think that you are a very strong, loving and beautiful person.

Margaret Kay said...

I am sitting here in tears - Just crying away . . . singing "Oh Lord my God" with you! (hug)

nina said...

Your story gave me chills. I'm so happy for you guys. I always knew Rob had it in him too. I still remember going to all the gospel doctrine classes with you guys when we were in first ward together. Good times. I wish you guys much happiness, you deserve it.