Thursday, July 24, 2014

Girls Camp

Was blessed to be assistant camp director this year.  I was overjoyed because this was Jasmines last year.  She was a YCL and did a great job.  My five favorite parts of camp:
1) The slide - So fun and worth the hurt of my old body getting pounded and bruised and sore from walking up the hill the 20 or so times I went down.


2)  The leaders:  These women genuinely love these girls and the gospel. We each had different strengths and we meshed very well together. Plus, we had a blast.



 Our bishop.  This was my favorite mug shot pic.


3)  The girlies.  There were a few girls that I didn't know before we went up but I came to love each and every one of them.  Some of these girls testimonies are so strong.  These are definitely choice strong spirits chosen to live in these latter days. 




4)  Getting some one on one time with Jasmine.  She did some great devotionals.  She knew this was her last year and tried to make it so fun for the 1st years.  She is a good hard worker and she and Emily had everyone laughing. 

 





5)  The spirit.  No where else besides the temple do I feel the spirit as strong as I do at girls camp and this year was no exception.  We had a very spiritual experience on Friday night.  One of the girls was feeling pretty sick.  She comes from a non-active family.  The bishop asked if he could give her a blessing.  He invited us all to go with him.  As we were walking to her tent, I was thinking to myself, I don't think this is right.  A blessing is a sacred, personal time and I don't think we should all gather and watch.  Boy was I wrong.  I had never felt The Holy Ghost so close during a blessing.  After he was finished, we all knelt in a circle, in a grove of trees in the moonlight and prayed as a ward.  There was not a dry eye in camp.  I was reminded not to doubt a worthy Priesthood leaders choice, especially the bishop.  It was perfect. 
 
 
 I loved was the solitude and the break from the "world".  None of us had cell phones or IPads.  We didn't watch television or listen to the radio.  We only did positive, uplifting activities.  We played games and sang and laughed and laughed.  It was just the emotional re-boot and spiritual boost that I needed. 

1 comment:

Michelle Thompson said...

Your awesome Jem! What great memories!